Lime Coconut Cake
2 sticks of butter, softened
2 tsp. coconut extract
1½ Tbsp finely grated lime peel (I used the zest of 2 limes, plus about 1 tsp of lime juice)
1 1/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut (I used sweetened)
2 ½ cups self-rising flour*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 12-hole standard muffin pans with paper baking cups.
- Beat butter, coconut extract, lime peel, sugar and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer until combined.
- Stir in milk and coconut, then sifted flour. Divide mixture among baking cups; smooth surface.
- Bake cakes 22-25 minutes. Turn cakes onto wire rack to cool.
- Top with coconut cream cheese frosting.
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
5 Tbsp butter, softened
5 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tsp coconut extract
3 cups (1 lb.) powdered sugar
Beat butter, cream cheese and coconut extract in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, gradually beat in sifted powdered sugar.
*No Self-Rising Flour on hand? No problem! Make your own by combining 1 cup all-purpose flour, ½ tsp salt, and 1½ tsp baking powder.
Thanks to ACP Magazine Ltd. and Barnes and Noble Publishers for this fabulous recipe.